Witton Country Park
Contact InformationPreston Old Road
Tel: 01254 55423
Fax: 01254 55423
Witton Country Park covers 480 acres of countryside and is liberally peppered with pretty picnic spots, walks, nature trails, a new play area and a visitor centre providing an ideal day out for all the family. The estate was once owned by the Feilden family, who built and lived in Witton House (1800 - 1946) and created the park at the same time.
From approximately 1900 the house was empty for long periods and during both world wars the house and estate were used by the army. At the same time dry-rot was attacking the property.
Sadly Witton House was demolished in 1952, after being sold to Blackburn Corporation in 1946. The Witton Estate, comprising some 485 acres, was included in this sale.
Fortunately, the outbuildings of Witton House survived, and the former stables and coach-houses were renovated in the late 1970s.
The main entrance to Witton Park is off Preston Old Road A674, 1 mile from Blackburn town centre. There is ample parking just through the gates.
Public Transport Directions
Cherry Tree railway station is 0.5 mile away.
There are regular bus services operating past the main entrance. Bus 152 from Preston to Blackburn every 30 minutes during the day.
Contact Blackburn Visitor Centre for details of public transport 01254 688040
Alternatively, out of normal office hours call Traveline 0871 200 22 33 or National Rail enquiries 08457 48 49 50